About the organization:
The American College of Nurse-Midwives (ACNM) is the professional association that represents certified nurse-midwives (CNMs) and certified midwives (CMs) in the United States.
Position Statement on Transgender/Transsexual/Gender Variant Health Care
It is the position of ACNM that midwives
- Exhibit respect for patients with nonconforming gender identities and do not pathologize differences in gender identity or expression;
- Provide care in a manner that affirms patients’ gender identities and reduces the distress of gender dysphoria or refer to knowledgeable colleagues;
- Become knowledgeable about the health care needs of transsexual, transgender, and gender nonconforming people, including the benefits and risks of gender affirming treatment options;
- Match treatment approaches to the specific needs of patients, particularly their goals for gender expression and need for relief from gender dysphoria;
- Have resources available to support and advocate for patients within their families and communities (schools, workplaces, and other settings).
To facilitate these goals, ACNM is committed to
- Work toward the incorporation of information about gender identity, expression, and development in all midwifery educational programs;
- Make available educational materials that address the identities and health care needs of gender variant individuals in order to improve midwives’ cultural competence in providing care to this population;
- Support legislation and policies that prohibit discrimination based on gender expression or identity;
- Support measures to ensure full, equal, and unrestricted access to health insurance coverage for all care needed by gender variant individuals.
Updated on Jun 15, 2020