Policy: Gender Reassignment Surgery
Last Update: 2021-02-22
Issued in: Minnesota
- All of the following criteria must be met prior to mastectomy for female to male members or breast augmentation for male to female members:
- The member must:
- Have persistent, well documented gender dysphoria; and
- Have the capacity to make a fully informed decision and to consent for treatment; and
- Have one referral from a qualified mental health professional that addresses all of the following:
- The member’s general identifying characteristics; and
- Results of the member’s psychosocial assessment, including any diagnoses; and
- The duration of the mental health professional’s relationship with the member including the type of evaluation and therapy or counseling to date; and
- An explanation that the criteria for surgery have been met, and a brief description of the clinical rationale for supporting the member’s request for surgery; and
- A statement that informed consent has been obtained from the patient; and
- A statement that the mental health professional is available for coordination of care.
- If significant medical or mental health concerns are present, documentation must support that they are reasonably well controlled.
Please note: Hormone therapy is not a prerequisite to mastectomy or breast augmentation.
No age requirement for surgery.
Updated on Nov 29, 2021